Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Furry Forensics




I took out a bag of trash this afternoon, and when I opened the garbage can lid there were little raccoon footprints on the interior walls! The single bag of garbage inside had a neat hole torn in it. Though I know raccoons are crafty, this is the first time anything has ever breached the fairly heavy-duty hinged lid of our new fancy-schmancy city garbage cans. These will keep out rats and possums but apparently won't foil the dexterous fingers of raccoons. So I secured the lid with bungy cables and put up a no trespassing sign. I also went in the back yard to make sure the lid to the compost bin was screwed down tight.

I love to watch raccoons beside a stream nibbling on mussels and fastidiously washing their little paws. But I don't particularly want them setting up housekeeping inside the garbage can. I'm just glad the critter wasn't in there when I opened the lid. Talk about your shock and awe.

No comments: