Saturday, December 29, 2007

Birding the Hard Way

I was test- driving the digital camera feature on the new spotting scope my hubby gave me for Christmas and needed a guaranteed bird in the hand, so to speak. We decided to train it on my mother-in-law's suet feeder, which was aflurry with nuthatch-titmouse-woodpecker activity, but, of course, it was too close to enjoy the 45x range of the scope. So we went to the deck of the new house they're building next door and set it up on a stepladder we hauled with us (gotta get that new tripod now....). We zoomed in on the feeder from 100 yards away. As soon as I had a target, I opened and closed the shutter multiple times using the handy-dandy snap line. I can sorta make out images captured on the viewfinder. If only I could get my computer to recognize the device, I might be able to see what they really look like. Or .... I could just sit a few feet away from a feeder and take photos with my Coolpix. Nah. That'd be too easy.

1 comment:

David said...

Hi Carla, Welcome to the blogging world. Sounds like you have a cool toy! Hope you have a great 2008.